Tuesday 7 April 2015

Painting through a stencil

 I have made this card to show some painty techniques:


I've started off by dabbing paint through the ~{Splatters Mask}~. The trouble with paint through a stencil can be bleeding of  colour under the stencil. I try to minimise this by using only a tiny bit of paint at a time and building up the colour.

First off I've put a dollop of DecoArt's white Chalk Paint onto my mat and added a dot of Quinocridone Violet Fluid Acrylic to it:


I then use a cheap make up sponge and mix it up as I go. I dab the sponge to one side so there's only a small amount of paint on the sponge and gently dab it through the stencil, into the centre first and going back to pick up little bits of paint until I get the look I like. By using 2 colours together, you get a mix of colour that adds depth. Start off with the lightest shade if you're using different colours that will overlap.


While the card was drying, I painted the ~{Mini Balloon}~ and again I used the white chalk paint and this time a dot of Cobalt Teal Fluid Acrylic. I put them together on the mat as before and then I can blend the colours. I start off with a mix of the 2 colours all over and then add darker to the edges  and lighter for the highlights. I blend the colours without letting anything dry until I get the look I'm after. You can just keep on going adding more and more paint without the chipboard disintegrating!

I inked the edge of the balloon and then added a thick layer of DecoArt Clear Liquid Glass.

I finished everything off with stamps and doodles.

Don't forget to join us if you want to be in the running to win some Tando goodies. 

Kaz xxx

1 comment:

Crafty Claire said...

I love this card. Great colours and composition. Will definitely try out the technique.